Monday, May 17, 2010

Imagin-Ocean

Imagin-ocean
Seen Wed. April 14th

John Tartaglia puppets show on a Blacklight Stage? I call it "a Fisting show for kids!"...lol
With free tix, and a few gay friends who are always open to new experiences, I went to see John Tartaglia's "Imagin-Ocean" the new family friendly puppet musical at New world stages.
At 50 min. long, we spent more time sucking down $3 margaritas at Blockheads than we spent in the theater. Turns out, that was a good thing!
As children’s theater goes, this show is actually damn good (pardon my language kiddies). With a cast of 4 puppeteers, and what my friends and I realized Must be prerecorded vocals/music/dialogue, its more of a Theme Park show, than a piece of theater. But it IS clever, and fun, with catchy little tunes, and pretty, colorful puppets that all glow under the dark, Blacklight illuminated stage.
"Interactive" is the "word of the day" (AAAHHHH!--forgive the "Pee Wee's playhouse" reference)...At one point glow in the dark "paint bubbles" shower the audience seeming to splatter bright dye all over us (only to step outside into the light where all signs of splatter magically vanish!)...and later on the audience is sprayed with Mist from "mysterious fathoms below”: not as much fun, for us girls who had "just gotten our hair did"...lol.
Any queen with 7 or 8 cocktails in her will have fun at this show. But if there's no liquor involved, I suggest keeping it to audiences 12 and under.
I feel like a pervert rating this one on a scale of Top, Bottom, or Versatile, so instead I'll say that in the Fishing world, this one may not be The Big Kahuna, but it's not a little Guppy either...it at least measures up to be a Keeper! So Sea it for urself, and your little Minnows might get Hooked!
Lol


Imagin-Ocean
Seen Wednesday April 14th
Ok so when Rhett asked me if I wanted to see a kid’s show I was down with it. As long as there was some sort of beverage involved prior or during the show. “Of Course!” was Rhett’s response “Don’t you know us by now?” So with the time and date set, I made my way to our rally point of Blockheads on west 50th Street for some lovely $3 margarita’s and the brilliant thing is that Blockheads is staggering distance to our Theater.

John Tartaglia has graced the great white way well the Great off White Way with an original new children’s production. Imagin-Ocean. This playful, and unique show transports the audience under the sea, in a whirlwind of puns, backlights, and paint bubbles, I found myself reverting to the 6 year old girl within me. The show is 50 min long and is a commercial free episode of some Nick Jr. program. We travel along meeting new friends and trying to find a hidden treasure which SPOILER ALERT!!!! The treasure is friendship.

I had fun with this show and as a Concierge who had been given the task of trying to find Family friendly things to do in the city of New York. It is refreshing to see that there are some wonderful alternatives for the kids that aren’t old enough for the Lion King or Mary Poppins experience. Kudos to you Mr. Tartaglia.

So I have to quote Rhett in my judgment of this show

“I feel like a pervert rating this one on a scale of Top, Bottom, or Versatile, so instead I'll say that in the Fishing world, this one may not be The Big Kahuna, but it's not a little Guppy either...it at least measures up to be a Keeper! So Sea it for urself, and you little Minnows might get Hooked!”

Carlos

No comments:

Post a Comment