Monday, October 11, 2010

Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson Revisitied

Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bernard Jacobs Theater 7:00pm

Pre Drinks and nibbles at Bamboo 52


Reviewed By Carlos
Went With Hector Ramos of the Gild Hall, A Thompson Hotel


I was extremely excited to get a text message from a dear friend earlier in the day to attend a Concierge event in which drinks and nibbles would be provided by Bamboo 52 and Philip Marie. This alone would make the trip from the upper east side to times square worth the Metrocard Swipe. How excited was I to find out that we would also be attending Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson. With it's new home at the Bernard Jacobs Theater, and posters around town proclaiming that "History got all sexypants." I found myself intrigued to see what the highbrow crowd of the Great White Way would make of this unconventional history lesson?


I had the pleasure to see this originally at the Public theater with my Swish of Gays, (See original review below) I did have some slight hesitation to see it move to a large Broadway house and didn't know how it would play out so along with my friend we settled into our seats strapped ourselves down for a crazy 90 min ride.


The theater was decked out in a swirl of colored lights, gilded portraits, and heavy drapery, it looked like someone from Antiques Roadshow dropped a tab of acid and said can I decorate the house and stage. There were very few if any noticeable changes from the original Public Theatre production, with one exception Kristine Nielsen took over as the Storyteller and brought to the role a comic timing that was on par with the original actress. With the great Emo rock style score, comical lyrics and hysterical book BBAJ, still brought to the stage a humor, and insight into our 7th President.


What I found interesting was not the production itself but the reaction of the audience as I was leaving the theater. This show, as I had figured, would illicit a reaction of either Love or Hate.

I was not disappointed, I heard four different couples discussing the show, one said it was brilliant and they a had a great time. The other three couples were less forthcoming with the praises, I heard "Thank God that shit show is over." "Oh my God I couldn't to get out of there fast enough!!!!" and my favorite "If there was an Intermission I would have gone over to A Little Night Music and try to crash their Second Act." I decided to engage one of these couples and asked what about the show they didn't like, they said it was insipid and arrogant and just plain dumb. I countered with the fact that it was tongue and cheek and it really didn't take itself seriously, just like Xanadu, but they said that Xanadu was good and this was crap, I beg to differ.


Now contrary to popular belief I am not the Gene Shalit of my group of friends, I don't like everything I see. Case in point A Tale of Two Cities the Musical, that show required a three hour therapy session afterwards and by therapy I mean the bar on 52nd Street. I am one who is willing to give most theater a fair viewing and will be objective in what is presented to me. A question posed to me by our Friend and absent reviewer Rhett was "Now that you saw BBAJ on Broadway should it have moved uptown or should it have stayed Off Broadway?" My answer was, I think it should have moved to an permanent smaller Off Broadway house for a nice long open ended run. BBAJ would be a great addition to the New World Stages family and I am afraid that the show will not get the rave reviews to justify a good healthy run on Broadway and will close sooner than later, but we will just have to wait and see. Go and see it before it closes don't take it to seriously and enjoy yourself.


OK here it is my final review for Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, a Top that just shot his load a little to quick, pulled up his pants and was out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment